We use garbage disposals daily without even thinking about it…until it breaks. A disposal is s a fragile system that can easily break or clog if not maintained properly. Shafer Services wants to give you some tips on how to maintain your disposal so you won’t have to worry about any unnecessary break downs.
- Always keep it clean: Pour a small amount of dish soap down the drain and let the disposal run for a minute with cold water.
- Always use cold water when grinding food: the cold water hardens the oils making it easier to chop up instead of hardening on the blades themselves.
- Always cut larger items up before putting down the disposal: Smaller items are easier to chop up so it won’t clog.
- Use it! Regular use prevents rust and corrosion.
- Never grind citrus rind: While this smells nice, the acid is actually eroding the blades.
- Never grind large bones or anything that is not biodegradable: These things can severely damage the blades making it ware out faster.
- Never put coffee grinds down the disposal: The grinds can accumulate in drains and pipes, causing clogs.
- Never use harsh chemicals like bleach: These can damage the blades and pipes.
If you have any questions about proper disposal use or your disposal is breaking down, talk to Shafer Services today.