Looking to breathe a little easier this allergy season? A whole-house air purification will definitely help.
What you’ll pay to install an air purifier in your home depends on 2 things:
- The type of whole-home air purifier you choose
- The time and effort needed to properly install the purifier
We’ll cover each factor in more detail.
Need a quote for a whole-home air purification system? Call us at (210) 227-8358 or contact us online to schedule an in-home consultation.
Cost factor #1: Type of whole-house air purifier
You can get 3 types of whole-home air purifiers for your San Antonio home:
- Media (high-MERV) filter
- Ionic (electronic) air purifier
- UV (germicidal) air purifier
Let’s go over each type in a little more detail.
Media (high-MERV) filter
Price range: $65–$80 per filter (plus $900–$1,100 for system reconfiguration if your system does not have the proper filter base installed)
How they work: Like regular air filters, high-MERV media filters sit in your HVAC system to capture contaminants in the air that gets pulled into your ductwork.
Media filter efficiency is measured by its MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) rating. The higher the MERV rating (1–16), the better the filter is at removing pollutants in your home.
- Can remove a wide range of particles that cause allergies
- Does not produce negative byproducts
- Require regular replacement (once filter gets clogged)
- Efficiency can change based on lifestyle and environment
- May require reconfiguration on your existing ductwork (since the filters are so thick)
Ionic (electronic) air purifier
Price range: $750–$950
How they work: Ionic air purifiers (sometimes called “electronic air purifiers”) use both a media filter and an electronically charged metal layer. Contaminants become positively charged as they pass through the metal layer, which forces them to cling to the media filter.
- Can remove a wide range of pollutants
- Zero to minimal maintenance on your end
- Remove microbial contaminants
- Some ionic air purifiers generate ozone (can inflame asthma symptoms)
- Some require electricity to run
UV (germicidal) air purifier
Price range: $450–$850
How they work: UV air purifiers, also called “germicidal air purifiers,” use UV light rays to kill microbial contaminants and remove toxins, odors and vapors in your home’s air.
- Can prevent mold and bacteria growth in your HVAC system
- Requires knowledge of UV lighting to install
- Don’t remove contaminants from the air (sterilize only)
- Some models generate ozone
Learn more about air purifier types and how they remove contaminants from your home in our article, “What’s the Best Air Purifier for Allergies in San Antonio?”.
Cost factor #2: The time and effort needed to properly install the purifier
Each contractor will charge for their labor differently. Generally, you’ll pay more to have an experienced contractor install your whole-home air purifier.
That’s because a high-quality contractor will know the proper way to install your purification system. And when it comes to installing an air purifier, you’ll want to make sure that your system is installed right so it can properly remove contaminants from your home.
You’ll know a contractor is top-notch if they:
- Have been around for 10+ years
- Give you a written quote before any work begins
- Are licensed and insured, so you’re covered if anything goes wrong during the installation
Need a quote for a whole-home air purifier in San Antonio?Schedule an appointment
One of our techs will come to your home and talk with you about your air quality needs, so we can help you find the right purification system for your home.