In San Antonio, you can expect to pay anywhere from $75 to $250+ for an AC check-up.
Why the wide price range?
Well, the cost of AC maintenance depends on these 2 factors:
- The AC company you hire
- What the technician checks during a maintenance visit
We’ll look at both of those factors in more detail. But first, let’s take a quick look at why your AC needs maintenance in the first place.
Need an AC tune-up? We can help!
Why does your AC need maintenance?
Your air conditioner needs an annual check-up for 3 reasons:
- To keep your AC energy-efficient
- To prevent breakdowns and expensive repairs
- To keep your AC warranty valid
Reason #1: To keep your AC energy-efficient
During normal use, AC parts get dirty and the lubrication on motor bearings can wear off, which will eventually reduce the efficiency of your AC system.
One purpose of a tune-up is to have a professional clean and lubricate the parts of your AC to make sure all important components are in tip-top shape. This will help ensure that your AC unit is running at its full efficiency level.
In fact, one source estimates that you can save as much as 15% on your monthly energy bill by having a professional maintain and clean important AC parts like the evaporator and condensing coils.
Reason #2: To prevent breakdowns and expensive repairs
An AC tune-up is like getting an annual physical exam from a doctor. Just like your doctor can catch health problems before they become serious, a tech can fix problems before they turn into expensive repairs.
No one wants to be stuck with a busted AC in the middle of summer, so it’s better to invest in maintenance now to avoid an untimely breakdown.
Reason #3: To keep your AC warranty valid
Most AC manufacturers require you to schedule yearly maintenance for your system to keep your warranty valid.
If the manufacturer doesn’t honor your warranty because you didn’t invest in annual AC maintenance, you may be responsible for the entire cost of the broken part if your AC breaks down.
Now that we’ve explained why AC maintenance is important, let’s look at the factors that affect the cost...
Factors that affect the cost of AC maintenance
Cost factor #1: The AC company you hire
An HVAC company that does high-quality work will usually charge more for an AC check-up.
However, getting your AC maintained by a high-quality professional will save you money in the long run because they will thoroughly inspect and clean your system, which will lead to lower energy bills and a longer lifespan for your AC.
How can you tell if a contractor does high-quality work?
- Verify that the company has good customer reviews on sites like Google, Better Business Bureau and Facebook. The more positive reviews, the more likely you’ll also have a good experience if you hire the company.
- Ask about their guarantees. If the company guarantees their work, you’ll know they will stand behind their maintenance service.
Next, you’ll also want to see what the technician will check during a maintenance visit...
Cost factor #2: What the technician checks during a maintenance visit
According to ENERGY STAR, a tech should perform the following tasks during an AC check-up (at minimum):
- Check thermostat settings
- Tighten all electrical connections
- Lubricate all moving parts
- Check and inspect the condensate line
- Test the controls of your system
- Clean the evaporator and condenser AC coils
- Check the refrigerant level
- Clean and adjust blower components
Note: We do each of those things and more. You can see everything we do during an AC check-up on our maintenance page.
Before you hire a company to do an AC tune-up, make sure they at least do each task listed above. If they don’t, you probably won’t get the maintenance tune-up your system needs, and you should look for a different company.
One easy way to save on AC maintenance
If you’re looking to save on your annual AC maintenance, one great way to save is by joining a maintenance plan.
Most AC companies offer a maintenance plan of some sort, which usually involves a monthly or annual fee that includes benefits like an annual AC check-up and discounts on other services.
For example, our Pro Plus Advantage plan offers benefits like:
- 2 HVAC system check-ups per year
- 1 whole-house plumbing check per year
- 10% discount on all repairs
- Priority scheduling
- Reduced dispatch fees for emergency service
- And much more
Visit our maintenance plan page to see a full list of benefits and learn more about our plan.