Summer is just around the corner! Here are five simple tips to help you save money and keep your homes cooler with Shafer Services Plus.
- You can save as much as 10% a year on heating and cooling by turning your thermostat back 7 to 10 degrees for 8 hours a day from its normal setting. (Source: https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/thermostats). Shafer advises dialing up your temperature only a few degrees during the day. This is easier to achieve if you work outside the home. Every degree cooler costs you 4-6% on your energy bill. So, it all comes down to balancing your budget and your preferred temperature.
- Close your blinds. Even a little bit of shade can work wonders. Plus, insulation from closed curtains helps to keep heat out and cool in.
- When possible, avoid using your oven or stovetop during the hottest parts of the day as this heats the house and causes your A/C to work harder. Think salads and crock pots.
- Change your air filter so that your A/C works more efficiently. So, how often should you change your air filters? Usually, every few months but it depends on the quality of the filter, your climate, and if you have pets. Dirty filters restrict airflow and make your cooling system work harder which costs you money.
- Hose down your outdoor A/C unit to keep it cool and running more efficiently. The evaporating water lowers the unit’s temperature and increases performance. Don’t have time to hose down your A/C? Set one of your sprinklers to go off near the unit to keep it from overheating.