Even a small amount of water can cause severe damage to a home. So, in a place like San Antonio that gets 20+ inches of rainfall a year, we see a lot of flood damage.
To protect your home against flood damage, we recommend that you:
- Repair and prevent exterior damage to your home
- Get annual plumbing checks
- Install a WiFi water alarm
Need flood protection ASAP? Call us at (210) 227-8358 or schedule an appointment online. We’ll send one of our plumbers to your home to talk about your options.
Tip #1: Repair and Prevent Exterior Damage
The best thing you can do to prevent water damage to your home? Repair existing exterior damage.
A leaky roof or crack in your foundation will allow water to get into your home, weakening its structure. Plus, excess moisture creates the perfect habitat for mold growth.
You can prevent (further) water damage to your home’s structure by:
- Repairing old, missing, or damaged shingles: When it’s time to replace your roof, consider a roof underlayment (a waterproof barrier that goes beneath the shingles) to better prevent leaks.
- Sealing window gaps: If you have windows that leak when it rains, recaulk the seals to prevent water from seeping through.
- Cleaning your gutters: Remove debris and make sure downspouts direct water away from the house. You can also install gutter guards to prevent gutter clogs.
- Checking your sprinklers: Make sure they aren’t shooting water at your home’s walls or foundation.
Tip #2: Get Annual Plumbing Checks
A plumbing check will make sure your entire plumbing system is in excellent condition. That way, your plumber can catch minor leaks and cracks before they become catastrophes that seriously damage your home.
Plus, a plumbing check will help you conserve water for wastewater averaging, lowering your sewage bills throughout the year.
A good plumbing check will include a thorough inspection of all:
Tip #3: Install a WiFi Water Alarm
A WiFi water alarm alerts you right away (via text, email or app notification) if your home is at risk of flooding.
The LeakSmart Hub 3.0 connects to your main water shut-off valve and will automatically shut off your water within seconds of detecting a leak. And with individually monitored sensors, you can pinpoint the problem right from your smartphone.
This LeakSmart Hub 3.0 also features:
- A self-charging and backup battery, so you’re protected 24/7 in any situation
- A built-in cleaning cycle to make sure it always works properly
- Integration with other smart products like Nest, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and more
- A 5-year warranty when purchased and installed by a professional technician
Note: We’re the only plumbing company in San Antonio certified to install the LeakSmart Hub 3.0.
Better yet, many insurance companies offer discounts on homeowners insurance when you install flood protection products in your home.
Want to Protect Your San Antonio Home from Water Damage?
We’ll send one of our plumbers to check that your plumbing is in perfect condition, and talk with you about your options for preventing water damage to your home.